This is such an easy one. Your guests will be really impressed and it won’t take more than a few minutes to prepare.
- 1 roll of “puff pastry” (I don’t know if I translated this right, I meant to say the kind of dough you’d use for croissants and French raisin bread…)
- 1 big table-spoon of heavy cream
- 1 or 2 table-spoons of dried herbs (use fresh in the summer; Thyme, cilantro, aniseed etc.)
- 1 big fist full of grated Comté cheese (or fresh parmesan)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Spread cream all over your dough
2. Spread herbs
3. Salt and pepper
4. Spread cheese
5. Roll the whole thing as you would sushi (tighten it up)
6. Cut 1cm (a little less than half an inch) rolls. This works best if you leave the roll in the fridge for a few hours before slicing.
7. Put on cooking sheet and in the oven at 200C° (390°F) for about 15 minutes (until golden brown)
8. Take out of the oven and let them cool down before serving
These are great as they can be made one or two days in advance. Just make sure they are stored in a cool dry place. You’ll just have to warm them up before service.
The other great thing about this recipe is that it’s like pie or pizza. You can put anything and everything you want in it: bacon bits, fried onions, olives or tapenade, anchovies… the possibilities are endless!!