Stephane’s recipes: Green Peppercorn Steak (from the archives)

I posted this a while back. One of my favorite recipes!

This is soooo juicy and delicious! Sear it, flambé it, add peppercorn and cream. It’s that simple (full recipe below).

Ingredients:

– 4 pieces of meat, the most tender you can find (you can use tournedos, but it doesn’t bleed much… The more blood, the better the sauce…)

– 1 small can of peppercorn. That is, for me, the best kind, as all their flavor is really intense. A can is the equivalent of maybe 3 table-spoons. Do not worry as green peppercorn is like Sichuan pepper, it is very flavorful but not very spicy. If you only have dry peppercorn, make sure you leave it in water overnight.

– Salt and pepper

– Heavy cream

– 1 glass of Cognac (I put Jack Daniels on the picture as you can also use Whisky, Brandy, Bourbon for the flambé. I like Cognac better as Whisky is a little too sweet for my taste…)

Steps:

1. Sear meat in pan until cooked the way you want (for this recipe, rare to medium is best)
  2. Take meat out and dump peppercorn. Keep the meat covered in foil r in the oven on low so it will still be warm enough by the time you are done with the sauce. What I do personally is undercook it in the pan and then reheat the meat in another pan once my sauce is almost ready…
  3. Crush some of the peppercorn with fork to free the flavors
  4. Add Cognac and light it up (be super careful!!). Keep pan over the stove as you need almost all of the alcohol fumes to go. All you want is the flavor of the Cognac, not the alcoholic taste.
  5. Add cream to taste and let the sauce reduce (while the meat is sitting on the side, it usually bleeds a bit. You should add that blood to the sauce!)
  6. Serve with fried potatoes!!!!

I remember preparing this with my friend Glenn in Montréal once. I started a kitchen fire and as we were trying to put it out, Glenn’s first reaction was “save the meat, save the meat”. Yes, it is that good a dish! Our instinct was to save the meat first and save the apartment second.

1. Made this tonight! Along with your Sardine Rillettes (to snack on) and your new recipe for the Gratin Dauphinois. Drank some Calvados to aid digestion and Chadonnay throughout the meal. We had a lovely French evening!

2. Steve says:

I made it last night and blogged it at: http://www.scourmanop.wordpress.com. A wonderfully simple and extraordinarily tasty dish destined to become a regular on our table. Masterful. Thanks for the inspiration.

🙂 🙂 I left you a comment blow your post. I’m so glad you liked it!

3. Steve says:

Will do. I had seen the recipe a couple of days ago and made a mental note to get the peppercorns; little Madagascar ones in a tiny green can. I got them yesterday but couldn’t remember why I had wanted them! Then I saw your recipe again today….glad I bought them.

Those are the ones I use. Perfect!!

4. Steve says:

Alright….making it tonight! Just got our quarter Highland cow from our local organic farmer so there must be a couple of nice pieces of filet in there. And fries in the Actifry (another great French contribution to civilization!).

Great! Let me know how it goes! Remember to use fresh or rehydrated peppercorn for best results:) Please tell me how it was afterwards OK? 🙂

5. This looks delectable – I will have to try this soon!

You should! It is fantastic and so easy:0)

6. ocelot81 says:

Oh mmm, looks so tasty, another delicious recipe 🙂

Thanks! It is always a great success when you have friends over (especially male friends who would give their right kidney for a piece of steak):0)

7. you wrote these words one year ago:
    “I like this idea of a moveable feast. I hope that’s something my blog will help people do. Create their own version of heaven wherever they are. Too philosophical here! Sorry!!”
    well, i guess you gave us the proof in this year..and i guess you helped so many people during this year to create their own version of heaven wherever they are…
    my version of “heaven” is quite far right now…but pieces of my work and surroundings might be found even here: designmedialab.tumblr.com or designmediaspa.wordpress.com ( oh, in case there’s still some space remained for WINES!)

Well thank you very much! I love your sense of style. Your blog is gorgeous!!

8. fatgirlkr says:

Would love to be eating this right now, it would cheer me up no end. i have had an awful day with some horrible people being mean about me and my blog. How am I doing on the holiday front?

What did people say about your blog. I love your blog!! People are just jealous sometimes. You are still in the lead for the game. Two others are really close, but still:0)

1. fatgirlkr says:

Just some horrible man said he hates me, my blog and everything I make. Some other person wanted to tell immigration about me because I’m trying to sell a few jars of jam. Just nasty and horrible things really. I just need to forget about them. That’s some good news about the holiday, I will have to try to make another plee to all readers x

You should block the comments for a while! There will always be horrible people just trying to get the attention they don’t deserve… I am (and many people are) on your side darling. Watch a good romantic comedy tonight! I know Notting Hill always cheers me up:0)

1. fatgirlkr says:

It was on another site I cant control, I only saw as the site got me so much traffic. Lol I do love a good romcom, I watched Bridget Jones last night. I made a flour less chocolate cake and that cheered me up a bit x

:0)

9. Anne says:

Oh my! That’s a handsome, juicy piece of meat! Beautifully presented too –I’m jealous!

Don’t be jealous darling! Prepare it for yourself! I know you deserve it!!! :0)

10. Conor Bofin says:

Excellent looking dish and beautiful ‘French’ presentation of the meat. A nice drop of JD goes well with most red meats.
    Best,
    Conor

JD goes with everything in this house:0) Have you tried it on sorbet?

Vodka is also great on pear or berries (especially blackcurrant)

11. Luffy Moogan says:

Love the idea of saving dinner rather than the apartment. Now that’s a true French spirit 🙂

I know right?!

12. Luffy Moogan says:

Oh yes. That looks delicious!

It really is! And so simple to make!!

13. Jeanette says:

Another fantastic holiday recipe!!! Thank you:)

:0)

14. I totally agree with your friend… “save the meat first!!!” it looks so yummy. thank for sharing

Thanks!

15. daryouchka says:

Cela fait une éternité que je n’ai pas mangé un bon steak au poivre ! Celui-ci (et la description) fait rêver ! Merci !

Merci pour votre gentil mot! Je suis désolé que le post ne soit qu’en Anglais, mais je l’avais publié il y a longtemps, quand je ne traduisais pas tout… Merci d’être passé:0)

1. daryouchka says:

Aucun problème ! Mon père est américain et j’ai grandi en parlant anglais et français !

16. aditya says:

Sally, what do you think is wrong with the photo? I wish I could eat it straight from the secren, the scallops are amazing! I have this book and had bookmarked the recipe, but forgot all about it until I saw your blog post on my email feed thanks for the reminder, and I really love the photo, glad you went ahead with the post

1. Stéphane says:

Thanks a lot for your comment! It was delicious indeed! Please come back to the blog soon!

17. yudi says:

Wow this is exactly the rpicee I needed, and I didn’t even know I was looking for it! We are a low carb household, for the most part, so meat, meat and more meat is always on the menu! Do you think some pork would work in this dish, or would you stick only to beef, veal and lamb?

1. Stéphane says:

I think it would be great with pork, but the sauce tastes better with bloody meats. So if you use pork, add a bit of stock to the sauce. And by the way, it goes best with loads of potatoes on the side. That will take care of your carb intake:0)

18. Amrita says:

Looks yummy! Love the idea of peppercorns with Cognac.