I may call it my French heaven, but it can be hell sometimes (mostly in my head). Life isn’t perfect, and it shouldn’t be. Pretending may work for some people. It has never worked for me.
So here I was yesterday, having a rotten time. You know, one of those rainy days where you feel blue and wonder what the hell your soldiering on for. One of those days where food is tasteless and the colors are just gone. Believe me when I tell you that when I don’t feel like eating, it’s a sign that something is seriously wrong…
Then, around 4pm, my dear friend Mimi sends me an e-mail. It is a one sentence e-mail with a silly joke. I laugh. I answer. I make myself a cup of tea. I feel a little better. That e-mail was my trigger. A simple laugh and the feeling that someone I care about is thinking of me… That gave me the courage I needed to start my “shitty day emergency routine”. My own recipe to turn things around on those days I have convinced myself that my life doesn’t amount to much. Not enough at least to keep fighting or even hope. Here is the recipe. Maybe it can work for you in case of such an “emergency”:
- Find a trigger. It may be a friend calling, the sound of a child laughing, an aroma coming from the kitchen, a short e-mail from a friend or a loved one. Just standing up from the couch may be enough (the motion/emotion thing always works for me)
- Make yourself a cup of tea or hot coco
- Open the cupboard and grab some chocolates
- Eat as many chocolates as you want (ice cream works too). Whether you are 150 pounds or 600, I don’t care. You are beautiful! Eat the damn chocolate!
- Put an old movie on. Mary Poppins or Singing in the rain always work for me
- Spend a solid hour (or two) on Pinterest. It’s full of inspiring stuff (highly addictive though. Be careful)
- Read nice comments people had left on your blog. I always save my favorite ones.
- By this time, I usually feel well enough to get the next productive task started. A blog post that I hope will make someone’s day brighter, a guest’s itinerary I’ve been procrastinating on (analysis paralysis), some house cleaning…
So now I guess you know exactly what I did from 4pm to 7pm yesterday :0)
If you are wondering, the chocolate came from Cadiot-Badie. The best and oldest chocolate factory and store in Bordeaux. The shop opened in 1823.
The ladies certainly look happier in 2015. I guess they are allowed a few free chocolates each day….
I guess what I mean to say is this:
- Don’t stay in your head!
- It’s OK to feel bad sometimes. It doesn’t mean that it will last. Allow yourself to feel what you have to feel
- Mary Poppins and good chocolate beat pills every time!!